Community Application Name:
The Fort Garry Horse Foundation
McGregor Armoury, 551 Machray Avenue, Winnipeg, R2W 1A8
The City of Winnipeg has a long Canadian military history dating from Wolseley Expedition of 1870 and the establishment of Military District 10 in 1871. The city currently supports HMCS Chippawa of the Royal Canadian Navy, the Headquarters of 38 Canadian Brigade Group, The Fort Garry Horse, Royal Winnipeg Rifles, Queen’s Own Cameron Highlanders of Canada, 38 Combat Engineer Regiment, 38 Signals Regiment, 38 Service Battalion, and 17 Field Ambulance. 17 Wing of the Royal Canadian Air Force is in Winnipeg and the Headquarters of 1st and 2nd Canadian Air Divisions are located on the base. The LAV located at historic McGregor Armoury, built in 1915, will become the ‘Winnipeg Afghanistan Memorial’. It will support plaques listing the names of those members of The Fort Garry Horse and 38 Combat Engineer Regiment who served in that conflict. Other Winnipeg-based units will be invited to attach plaques commemorating their service in Afghanistan. The prominent location in Martin Park, located on the corner of McGregor St and Machray Ave in Winnipeg will be accessible year-round and incorporates two other vehicles, representative of the Second World War and the Cold War. The funds for the project were raised through The Fort Garry Horse Foundation, from individual and corporate sponsors.