Community Application Name:
Royal Canadian Legion Branch 17
Legion Branch 17, 97 Sunset Drive, Wellington
Community Website :
December 2, 2016
National Inventory of Canadian Military Memorials # :
Wellington’s first permanent inhabitants came from Ireland in 1831 and they were soon followed by Scottish, English, and Acadian settlers. Previously Mi’kmaq tribes roamed the region. Wellington was officially named in honour of the Duke of Wellington by settlers from Great Britain in 1832. The community is located in the “Evangeline Region” of Prince County and has a population of approximately 450. This “Incorporated Municipality” is viewed by the surrounding area as a regional centre for commerce, services, and culture. It is also the home of Collège Acadie Î.-P.-É.
Wellington use to be a popular destination along the Prince Edward Island Railway Line until its closure in 1989. Today Route 2 and 124 provides the main access in and out of the region.
The installation of a new LAV III Monument was made possible because of the efforts and passion of the Royal Canadian Legion Branch #17 to remember veterans’ service and sacrifice which it has done ever since it was established in 1946.