Community Application Name:
The Military Museums
The Military Museums, 4520 Crowchild Trail SW, Calgary
Community Website :
September 10, 2018
National Inventory of Canadian Military Memorials # :
The Military Museums is dedicated to preserving the memories and traditions of the countless Canadians who proudly served their country through numerous wars and conflicts by their selfless dedication, commitment and courage. The museum typically welcomes over 50,000 visitors annually, including 10,000 school children.
The Military Museums of Calgary originally opened in 1990 (then called The Museum of the Regiments) on the grounds of CFB Calgary. Then in 1998 CFB Calgary was closed and most regiments relocated to CFB Edmonton. However, the museum remained on site and continued to expand to over 107,000 square feet to accommodate 7 separate museums all under one roof. It is now the largest tri-service museum in Western Canada and the second largest military museum in the country. It consists of the four founding regimental museums and is home to The Founders’ Gallery and The Military Museums Library and Archives (University of Calgary).
Calgary first became home to the military in 1933 when the Army built Currie Barracks which later became CFB Calgary, in 1969. Then after the base closed in 1998 the city’s military population was reduced as most regiments relocated to CFB Edmonton. Today, two primary reserve units operate from Calgary – the King’s Own Calgary Regiment and the Calgary Highlanders. Several of the members from these regiments served in Afghanistan and some were wounded while a few others lost their lives. The new LAV III Monument was installed, in the outdoor vehicle park, to honour them all.